The Makings Of A Green Library
April 27, 2011
OK, better late than never. We missed posting this on Earth Day last week (April 22) but it’s been a busy time for Libraries…and Librarians. What is it about the Essex Library that makes it a ‘green’ Library you ask?
- For starters, like all Libraries, we renew and recycle books, audiobooks, magazines and DVDs. We also renew and recycle computers.
- We recycle our newspapers, magazines, paper, bottles and cans, and plastic bags–including the bags our newspapers arrive in.
- Our lighting includes many fluorescent bulbs and we use motion detectors and timers to keep lights off when not in use.
- The Library is heated and cooled, in part, by a geothermal system.
- The Library uses green cleaning supplies throughout.
There are other efforts made during the renovation including recycling demolition and construction waste, using low-water toilets, and using construction materials and products from local sources.
Let us know what else we should be doing to keep Essex green.